Sunday, May 1, 2011

Book Lists

         I have been focusing on reading aloud during tot school time and meal time (mostly lunch.)  We have really been enjoying a wide variety of books so far.
         I put together my own book lists from a number of sources:
              1. Five in a Row
              2. Sonlight
              3. My Father's World (our spine curriculum)
              4. Ambleside Online
              5. Random books I have come across that weren't on one of the previous lists, but I knew I wanted to read them to my kids.

          Then, I divided my big list into 6 smaller lists by category . . .
              1. Christian Books
              2. Fairy Tales/ Tall Tales/ Nursery Tales
              3. Poetry/ Nursery Rhymes
              4. Picture Books
              5. Chapter Books
              6. Nonfiction Social/Science Books
           
           Then, during our reading time, I rotate between the different lists . . . For example, I read a chapter from our current chapter book, then a picture book, then a poem or two etc.  I am making a binder with evaluation sheets for each of my kids.  Each evaluation sheet will have a column for books read, and then different columns to evaluate the book.  For example, if the child understood the book and was listening (my baby doesn't understand or even pay attention to many of the older books) . . . I will note if the child liked the book, if there was anything I skipped over bc I thought it was inappropriate . . . if I think it should be revisited for that particular child . . . etc.  I plan on having a separate evaluation sheet for each of my 6 booklists, and separate ones for each kid . . . so that gives me a total of 18 sheets for my 3 kids.

           This is a system we have just begun . . . but I am hoping to report success!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment